There is no denying that the second (or third, or fourth etc) child will get less ‘new’ things than the first. And I don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing at all. We all know that kids love a toy one second and then get bored of it and they get dumped in the ‘poor toys’ pile at the back of the room, looking rather new and lost. And same with clothes… they grow out of them in a matter of months, if not weeks, depending on their growth spurt journey.
However, it’s always nice to get ready for the next baby, not only mentally but with a few physical objects in the home that will make it a little more real and that bit more exciting than it already is. And let’s not forget that child number 1 needs to have a treat and get extra spoilt during the arrival of their much loved sibling – wait, what? they don’t actually give a damn or worse, don’t want a sibling? ouch! we are in trouble!! 😉
I do hope the below lists are super useful and if i’ve missed anything, I would love to know as I still have quite a few months left to get ready :)!
New items for Baby no2… or 3, or 4, etc
- CELTIC & CO Sheepskin buggy liner (let’s not pretend that the one that’s been sitting in the buggy for over two years is clean. It certainly is not!)
- TUWI The cosiest blanket. Always nice to have their own blankets, not only as a keepsake but they’re also super soft and cuddly when they’re new.
- BUGABOO A new pushchair footmuff. Again, just nice to have a super cuddly new one with fleece that isn’t bobbling away.
- THE WANDERER LONDON Moses basket! I didn’t have one for my first as there was no problem me holding him at any point or time of day if that is what he wanted. But with a toddler in tow, I really think a moses basket will be my saviour when I HAVE to put the baby down in any room as my toddler is demanding something or has hidden or is peeing in the corner of my house plant.
- MUSTHUD DESIGN Swaddles. I went for the rather ugly, plain white swaddles with my first. And I still think these are the best ones as if they get ruined, who cares? but we are now spoilt with gorgeous muslins that can be used as blankets too on those hotter, stickier days, so why not!?
- LALLEE PONCHOS Poncho for baby. Yup, I know, not essential but super duper cute. Much easier than trying to put a coat or cardigan or god forbid a snow suit on them. And they are just like a super big blanket! They also last from 0-8 years so hoping the moths don’t get to them, you are in for a long journey with these gorgeous wraps.
New items for Child number 1:
- MICRO SCOOTER Not only might you save space and money on a double buggy, but they’ll love the independence of scooting away from you. Which of course means shedding those pregnancy piles off quicker as you’ll be chasing your darlings down the road yelling STOPPPPPPPPPPPP! jokes aside, all the kids have them, so they should be OK!
- MUD MUD BABY Mud kitchen. Depending on garden space and time of year, i’d say this is the BEST present a boy or girl from the ages of 2 – 8 can receive.. if not even older! Who doesn’t love to get down and dirty with the mud!?
- SLEEPY DOE Matching pyjamas with baby, from fab online retailer MARTHA’S MAGIC WARDROBE – you know, to try and get that bond going?!!!
New items for Daddy:
- In an ideal world a TESLA X ( I have been repeatedly told first hand from my husband! I wish self employment was that amazing to be able to gift him this! For now, dream on my darling boy!)
- MAMA DAYS A linear portrait drawing of daddy and first child. Cute for the staircase art and something of sentimental value.
- ARGIOLAS WINERY A case of wine. I’ve been told Korem would be perfect.
New items for Mama:
- ALF THE LABEL A new changing bag. Let’s face it, it’s the only bag you’ll be using for the next 2-3 years! treat yourself!!
- BUGABOO Pimp your knackered looking pushchair by getting some chic ‘leather look’ handlebar covers.
- ERGO BABY carrier. I must have bought 3 cheap and useless baby carriers with my first. This time i’m going for gold.
- DILLI GREY new Pj’s. We can still hope that we will be allowed to laze around as much as possible, especially in weeks one and two when daddy is home, right?! Or is that complete delusion with a toddler?
- ARTISANNE basket. The last thing you want is worrying about mess. Get a basket and chuck it all in there!!